Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Bunny in the headlights....

Do you ever have days where you have SOOOOO much to do that you just don’t know where to start? You get that Bunny in the headlights look on your face....?

I think I'm having one of those years. Normally I am Miss. Hyper-super-efficient at work. I write lists. I clear stuff off my list. Nice big ticks. I try and avoid my email - only respond for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon - I figure if it’s important and the house is burning down they'll call me. I try not to schedule meetings for more than an hour - difficult where I work at the best of times. I try and do all the right things to make sure that I have enough time, energy and head space to be able to get through my stuff - my job is *slightly* visible after all :)

But sometimes all of those little tips and techniques just don’t cut it. It feels like one step forward and 48 steps back. It’s usually at times like this that I lose perspective on everything. I panic. I flap. I go quiet. I huff and puff a lot. I teeter on the edge of getting ratty with people because they want to *chat*...

It makes me question why I react so badly to stress. Is it because I am so obsessed with my job that I have to be seen to be perfect at all times? Is it because I feel that anyone that wants to chat to me (heaven forbid) has no consideration for my boundaries? Is it because I feel like I am totally out of control?

It’s a little bit of each of those things really.

Years ago someone (I think it was my ex - bless him - he did have a use) pointed out to me that even when you die your inbox will keep filling up - it’s never ever going to be empty. That depressed the buggery out of me at the time - however a little distance gave me some perspective - you know what? It’s true. I suppose it comes back to the control thing again - it’s human nature to want to control stuff. That bit comes naturally. What doesn’t come naturally - at least for me - is comprehending that sometimes I am just along for the ride - I am a passenger and should just buckle up - I can’t control everything. That I should just relax, chill out and go with the flow a bit more.

My inbox is a bit like my life really.....

3 comments:

  1. At the risk of just bringing up another 'organisational self-help tip', I had an epiphany moment some years back when I had a massive purge of the unruly inbox using the 'if it's important they'll re-send' logic. Since then my rule is to get the inbox down to having no scrollbar before I go home (getting a bigger monitor helps). My thinking: I can't control everything, but controlling the inbox makes me sleep better at night :o)

    (Setting up folders and filters for cc and group emails helps hugely too)

    Oh, and you know full well that Smileys Need Noses :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No RT - you sound NO scroll bar is good. Alternatively - try something radical - delete everything you are cc'd on. It works. nTrust me. I've tried it. People get upset and then learn *very* quickly that if they want you to do something that they need to ask you!

    ReplyDelete