Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Honesty is the only policy

So I've been remiss. Bad Mel. Punishment will be dispensed at some point. No doubt. And no I haven’t been ignoring you - how could you possibly think that?!

I've been thinking today about honesty. It’s something that we would all wear as a badge of honour - of course - after all we are honest people - aren’t we? The sad truth is that we aren’t. Not always. When it suits us we are. And when it suits us we aren’t. Shimples.

I've been on the receiving end of dishonest behaviour and also on the giving end of it too. Much as it shames me to admit it. At least I can admit it. And hell no-one is perfect. No-one. Sometimes we cut out cloth accordingly as to what suits us in the moment.

What I find *challenging* is when people can’t / wont / don’t fess up to their own dishonesty. We all do it. The dishonesty thing. Why hide it? It’s what makes you human after all. We can’t be all things to all people. So why try? Why not be the best that you can within the parameters of who you are as a person - without over committing - and make yourself and others happy?

What gets me (and really gets my friendly neighbourhood goat too) is when people think that they are doing the right thing by not telling the truth. Who are you helping right now? Really....?

Telling the truth is difficult. That’s why people lie. It's natural that we all want to look good. Not be the bad person. Lying is tied to self esteem. According to the people in the know anyway. Why do we put ourselves before someone else in the self esteem stakes?

Right now I have no answers to anything - merely questions, suppositions, observations and a few assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment